AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 08:02:19 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lord of The Rings  (Read 3381 times)
editor
« on: September 22, 2003, 05:28:03 am »

As some of you know, I am in the midst of packing for a move.  As the books came off the shelf, I saw my copy of the Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien.  The following is the first paragraph of the chapter titled,  "Of The Rings of Power and The Third Age."  For you Hobbit lovers out there, this refers to the age that occured after Morgoth(Melkor) was overthrown and Sauron, (the new Dark Lord-lite) sets himself up as the new power in Middle Earth.

Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur.  In the beginning of Arda, Melkor seduced him to his allegiance, and he became the greatest and most trusted of the servants of the Enemy, and the most perilous, for he could assume many forms, and for long if he willed he could still appear noble and beautiful, so as to deceive all but the most wary.

When Thangorodrim was broken and Morgoth overthrown, Sauron put on his fair hue again and did obeisance to Eonwe, the herald of Manwe(The true king), and abjured all his evil deeds. And some hold that this was not at first falsely done, but that Sauron in truth repented, if only out of fear, being dismayed by the fall of Morgoth and the great wrath of the Lords of the West.  But it was not within  the power of Eonwe to pardon those of his own order, and he commanded Sauron to return to Aman(where the Gods lived) and there receive the judgement of Manwe.   Then Sauron was ashamed, and he was unwilling to return in humilliation and to receive from the Valar(gods) a sentence, it might be, of long servitude in proof of his good faith; for under Morgoth his power had been great.  Therefore when Eonwe departed he hid himself in Middle-Earth; and he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong."

One of the reasons Tolkein's books are so grand and glorious is because he understands the profound details of human nature, and good and evil.  Understand that after Sauron fell back into evil, after his false repentance, he made the ring and became even more evil than before.

I hope some former and current leaders and Geftakysservants read this.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 09:26:04 am »

Understand that after Sauron fell back into evil, after his false repentance, he made the ring and became even more evil than before.
I hope some former and current leaders and Geftakysservants read this.

Brent

Forsooth!
Verne
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: