AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 06:45:23 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The IRS, the assembly, and money  (Read 6296 times)
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« on: February 02, 2003, 04:21:03 am »

Okay, I apologize if this has already been addressed and I just didn't see it.

But as there was serious $$$ being contributed (as 10% was considered 'faithfulness in the little things'), and as elsewhere Brent did some calculations about how much money was going into this ministry over the years, are there legal consequences (oops, perhaps a poor word choice there  Wink) to money being given tax-free to support these full-time workers?

I assume that since it was going on in this fashion for so many years (cash only, no accounting and no records, as DG's 'red book' pages were burned dutifully according to Rachel, I can assume similar practices in other places, I know in WLA there wasn't any recordkeeping on the few occassions that I helped with the 'Lord's Treasury' (sic).)

I'm no CPA (I have enough problems doing my own taxes, thank you very much) but wasn't this income taxable over those many years? Aren't there serious legal implications for tax evasion? Any CPA's out there who would care to comment?

Thinking about this perhaps there are things going on that are not public knowledge for good purpose. Oh well, if no one answers to this post because of this reason I can assume the best (or worst, depending on your point of view).  Cool

Dale 'not looking forward to doing his own taxes' Yuzuki
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 09:19:53 pm »

Financial transparency in the ministry will go a long way in clearing up  problems.  The bible church I attend now has open books.  Any member or visitor can look at the books and every check written.  They have nothing to hide.  
As believers I think we should insist on openess in the financial dealings in the church.

Paul Hohulin
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 09:36:08 pm »

Dear Paul,
I met you years ago at a Midwest seminar.  I appreciate what I've read from you on this board.  I'm wondering, what is a llama?  
Thanks,
Becky
Annandale,VA
editor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 09:46:11 pm »

Romans 13 has a few things to say on this topic.

Annanias and Saphira also would no doubt give some advice (posthumous) with regard to whether or not God is concerned with financial wrongdoing in His Church.

Only God knows what George has done with the money.  Not all of it is in Greece, or in his bookcase, or inside tables.

The envelope that was found hidden inside a table in George's house 2 weeks ago contained 12,000 cash.  There is plenty more where that came from, and it didn't come from a table!

Keep in mind that George did tell us, in a general sense, where the money went:

"All of the money is used for the "work" of the Lord both here and ABROAD."

I lots of funny things about Assembly money, and it isn't only George.

Brent
Jeremy Zimmerman

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 10:07:38 pm »

Brent - thanks for your labor with the site. In your previous post on this thread, you said, "The envelope that was found hidden inside a table in George's house 2 weeks ago contained 12,000 cash. " Can you elaborate on this?
editor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 10:18:27 pm »

"The envelope that was found hidden inside a table in George's house 2 weeks ago contained 12,000 cash. " Can you elaborate on this?

I can only elaborate a little bit, and it would not be worth doing so.  I don't know who's money it was, or what it was for, although I hear it was for the cancelled Asian Journey.

I have about 35.00 is cash in my house right now!  I can't imagine having this kind of money in an envelope in my house!  I use banks for this sort of thing.

Brent
Rudy

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 10:27:20 pm »

My father lost his wallet before being placed in a nursing home.
He got placed by court order  -  Dementia due to ETOH abuse.
I found his wallet  -  it had $2,429 in it.

A woman I know here found $5,000 in their grandfather clock.
Another woman that works for my cousin  -  couldn't throw
newspapers away, they kept finding money stashed in them.

Dementia is a debilitating illness. Maybe "whoever" found that
envelope in the desk needs to do a "thourough" search, eh ?
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2003, 10:27:09 pm »

Becky,
Last I knew a llama was "a domesticated South American ruminant mammal related to the camel, raised for its wool and used as a beast of burden."  There actually is a llama that lives next to me on my neighbor's farm.  Very cool looking animal, but I think they can bite.

I'm really not sure what it means on this website.  Ask Brent or Brian.

God bless,
Paul
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2003, 11:12:54 pm »

Dear Paul,
I met you years ago at a Midwest seminar.  I appreciate what I've read from you on this board.  I'm wondering, what is a llama?  
Thanks,
Becky
Annandale,VA

A llama is a computer geek term for a lamer
editor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 02:18:17 am »

I'm a llama----this shows up automatically when someone registers for the BB and doesn't carefully configure their profile.

I'm not sure why it does this, but it is rather cute and sweet.

Llamas,  like camels, are great spitters...

Rudy, regarding the packrat behaviors exhibited by people with dementia, you may be onto something here.  I'm sure that for the last 30 years or so, there was dementia, and that all of our tithes are to be found in George's old books, furniture, etc.  Yeah that's it, Dementia, that's the ticket!   Grin

I wonder what is inside the Buddha statue?  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: