AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 03:24:04 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldies  (Read 5173 times)
Connie Wellik

Email
« on: January 28, 2003, 09:35:37 pm »

Since I have been out of the Assembly for almost 20 years, other than Dave S. I didn't recognize any of the names on the correspondence list, so I thought maybe some of the real old-timers might respond to this post.  
The recent events have, once again, brought enormous pain to my soul. I am not surprised that George, as he often said about the enemy, "overstepped his bounds" and revealed his true nature. At the same time, I realize the importance of remembering the log in my own eye.
I have had the opportunity to speak with several hurting people over the years who have had similar experiences in cult-like churches.  As the director of care ministries at a large church in Ventura, it is part of my job to offer "pastoral care" to those who grieve.  I've noticed in my own life, and the lives of those who have experienced extreme loss, a common thread of anger, shattered expectations and hopelessness is often present.  At some point, it might be beneficial to offer an opportunity for a grief counselor to speak at future meetings.  I offer whatever insights I have to anyone who may need to talk, especially those in the Santa Barbara area. -Connie 805 656-7766 Ext. 251
AMGarisek

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 10:35:31 pm »

Hey Darlin!  There you are.  I tried to email you and couldn't get through.  I'll give you a call soon and set up a time when we and our girls can get together.  Hope all is well.  While this may be painful for many, I am personally thrilled that the Lord is working and that the truth is FINALLY coming out.  It is truely reviving my faith.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 03:04:01 am »

Hey!  Why is my name assiociated with the title "Oldies"?  Seriously, I am very happy to have arrived at age 43 and am no longer the immature 18 year old I was when I first arrived at the Beach House.  

I think it is great how God has used Brent and this web site to bring things to light.  I would like, however, to see more positive, healing pieces from those who have been out for a while that shares from experience what was done to transition into a healthy church and productive Assembly afterlife.  I think with both of your experiences (Anne Marie and Connie), you may be able to help greatly in this area.

Lord bless,

-Dave
psalm51

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 03:11:49 am »

Connie  - I could be wrong, but I think that you and I used to have lunch or breakfast together back in the "old" days in Fullerton when I came out for summer school in '76 and '77 and also for a visit in '78. My maiden name is Miller, as in Patty Miller. Do I have the right person? Roll Eyes
If not, no biggie, that's why we're called "oldies". Grin
Connie W.

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 07:55:29 am »

We had so many "saints" from the midwest stay with us during seminars and summer schools.  I'm sure we did share a meal or two!
We actually took a trek in my dad's motor home in 1983 and visited all the midwest assemblies because we just fell in love with you all!  We especially enjoyed our time in St. Louis and Chicago, where we were able to stay a bit longer.  
By far, the most difficult part of leaving the assembly was leaving those we loved so much.  I think this website is like having a giant reunion!   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: