AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 12:38:41 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: An ex-missionary to China - DaIe Yuzuk1  (Read 16122 times)
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« on: January 19, 2003, 10:53:18 am »

Hello to everyone who I remember and those whom I've not met before.

My name is DaIe Yuzuk1, involved from 1981 as a UCLA freshman until 1997 when as a missionary to China saw the reality of what Fullerton was all about while overseas.

For those who don't know me, those 14 years of involvement meant living two years in Jim Hayman's brother's house in Fullerton, two summer teams in San Francisco and Seattle, seeing the beginning of the 'lodge' in San Francisco (living there for three years) as well as many years of involvement in West LA.

It ended in the logical extension of 'total commitment': being sent out to China to 'serve in this ministry'. What I saw from afar after so many years was the control that the leaders wanted to exert; I never before had seen it until I met a woman who is now my wife.

Summarily excommunicated, I spent another year in China ministering as an 'independant'; upon return to the US to start life over was not easy, as for the prior 13 years all the people who knew me didn't know me any longer. Trying to pick up where I had left off with my career was not easy at all; nor was trying to establish friendships outside the 'assembly'. For anyone involved for such a long time, this difficulty shouldn't be underestimated; it is as if everyone you once knew didn't exist anymore.

Now I'm unfettered to live a normal life; there are times when I pass by the old meeting place and remember so many details about 'doorkeeping', 'giving a word', and all the other expectations that over time were accepted as normal (to one 'in fellowship'). There are times on a Friday night where I remember these 'all night's of prayer' experiences; other times in a Bible study I'd think of how many Bible Studies I'd attend or preach at in a given week. (There were several times when it would number 5 in one week.)

I'm glad to read about how many others have moved on, whether ones I knew very well or not at all, and wonder sometimes how much that 14 year history I have affects me today. I am assured by my wife that she would have never have met me otherwise (isn't that the truth!) so I just leave it at that.

Currently I'm living in West LA, working at a great company in a great position, and have a beautiful 8-month old girl, for which I'm grateful.

Thank you Brent for providing this forum for old friends to catch up.

DaIe

ps - it was Melany Miners from SB who told me about this site, who I've been in touch with off and on over these last few years. Sorry David M. that I didn't respond to the letter you sent.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:42:23 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 03:43:46 am »

Hi Dale.

I remember you a little, and I remember when you left.  Yeah, they didn't have good things to say about you.  I knew Josh and Bill as well, any news from them?

Arthur
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 11:38:08 pm »

Hi Arthur, no I haven't heard anything from just about anyone from WLA since mid-1997, when I received a threatening letter when I was in China demanding I either break off a relationship or return to the US.

...Naturally I did neither one, and continued in China for over another year. After getting married there it became clear that long-term it would be better for us to return to the US.

I did encounter Selvin at a local market about a year ago, and he expressed a desire to continue to be in contact.

Dale
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:42:51 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 02:31:06 am »

Oh yeah, Selvin, I remember him too.  Stayed a few times with their fam for seminars.  Really nice people.  Single bros from SLO usually got to stay with the West LA families, since they were furthest away Smiley
Rob Kazarinoff

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 03:05:55 am »

Dale Yuzuki !!

Remember me?  I know you do !  Hey, remember when I was up for a seminar and I stayed at your place?  Remember the bros were all around the breakfast table and I made a triple entandra (sp) with the phrase "sounds like assembly language to me?"  Well, in light of recent revelations, it's turned out I unwittingly made a quad !!!!

Your brother and friend,

Rob K
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 04:32:30 am »

Wow, Rob, it's great to hear from you. I can safely assume that you have also moved onward? Are you still in SLO or in another locale?

Congrats on remembering triple, oops, I mean quadruple entendre's from many years ago (let's see, it was probably the spring or winter of 1996)! Man, you have got a great memory!

Fascinating news from Fullerton, I'm still absorbing the implications of it and wonder whether a 'new wineskin' is needed. Really sad to hear that Jim H. is just a ghost of his former self, according to Greg T. who only recently left. Easy to understand if 'the foundations are destroyed, what will the righteous do?', but hard to comprehend with such a sincere man who I admired a lot.

What are you pursuing nowadays? Perhaps a new computer language in order to better simulate AI? I myself am in the biotechnology biz now with an increasing emphasis on IT and nanotechnology.

Dale
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:43:10 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
Tim

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 04:45:25 am »

Dale, I remember staying in your home as well.  (Sorry I don't jave a Rob story to tell.  Hi Rob.)  I always enjoyed talking with you.  I was shocked that you had 'left', but could not imagine you not serving Christ.  I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.

I'm still in the mayhem that is in SLO.  The Lord is there.  We are learning (and unlearning) a lot and we have a lot of work ahead of us, but God is doing something amazing.  
Rob Kazarinoff

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 06:30:59 am »

Dale,

Yes, your assumption is correct.  My wife of five years Linda (Duweling) Kazarinoff and I have moved to Santa Rosa where I now am licensed to practice Land Surveying in the State of California.  We have two daughters, Sarah (2) and Sophia (6mos.).  Sure, we have a story (like everyone) of why we left SLO but we needn't share specific offences in order to protect and help our brothers who are in the difficult process of truely repenting of their sins.  Also in view is the fact that the tone of this website is shifting from that of judgement to one of restoration and recovery.  I'd love to hear from you... robkaz2@netzero.net.

Your brother and friend,

Rob K
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 10:03:58 am »

Hi Tim, sorry to say I can't place the name...  Undecided I'm glad to know though that after these many years you still remember a guy who a lot of people considered 'intense'!

Okay, time for a 'you know you are living in China when...' stories:

Summertime, blazing hot, about 95F and 85% humidity and I'm stuck in a car in mid-day traffic with the wife of the ambassador of Ethiopia (to China). It is the Ethiopian embassy's car, and she is giving me a lift to the US Embassy to so I can get some kind of permit or another. In the middle of the road I see a man in a cheap Chinese suit (typical for a taxi driver) with his fly open and taking a whiz, in full sight of all three lanes of traffic in both directions! As I pass by astonished, others pass by like it's just another sweaty day in Beijing...

Dale
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:43:26 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
Randal

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 12:10:28 pm »

Dale!!!
It's been a while.  After meeting up with Mark C. I had to rethink everything they said about the people who have left.  To me you were a dear brother who fell in China.  I would love to hear more of what actually happened.  As for me, I went into deep depression because I was too much of a failure to be used of God, unfit to be a servant of the Most High.  About 2 years later I left the assembly in 1999.  I just started coming out of depression in November after talking with Eric and Lorretta Buchmann and Greg and Kimberly Tobin.  At this point, I am still trying to sort things out.  I had stopped caring about God or church a long time ago.  It's not so easy to start caring again.  It is good to hear that you are doing well and that things are not as I was told.  

Randal Kumagai
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 07:34:11 pm »

Randy!!!! (one added for 'extra emphasis')

Sad to hear about the depression. I can very much relate, believe me, when I was a 'stranger in a strange land' with only a few who I could speak to, and my own family a Pacific Ocean away.

I spoke with Greg T. last night and he reminded me of the 'grieving' process I went through, as if my entire family had died suddenly as they (for all intents) didn't exist anymore. Then it was up to me to start rebuilding, albeit slowly, one tentative step at a time. Now it's almost five years later and people are contacting me many of whom I remember very well, and it's amazing how much things have stayed the same regarding spiritual abuse, and amazing how there's an opportunity for change (but it may be quite a while before that all pans out).

I'll PM my contact info, perhaps we can speak by phone sometime. I'm in WLA and commute to Valencia now, so I'm around.  Smiley I can also relate to the 'not caring' part too.

Dale

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:43:41 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 09:32:26 pm »

Hi Dale Yes I wondered about that letter? Great to hear from you.  It is strange to read that you were not privy to the controle issues inthe assembly? ( until they had a direct affect upon your own life.) Dale I ran into a brother in Fullerton who questioned my leaving.  I told him because of the controle issues.  His response was "Thats not true!"  then he told me you left because the Brothers would't let you get marride!  Huh Is this guy using his head?  Dale I will honestly testify You were very very dedicated and sacraficial in your commitment. (You made it through med school and lived in a bros house and made it to all the meetings!  
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 10:16:01 pm »

Hi David, perhaps because although I was sent out 'as a worker' I was not part of the workers meetings at all before I chose to leave. There was talk of me going to the 'workers conference' that year ('97) but the point is moot now.

Thanks for the kind comment, although I wasn't the one who made it through med school (that was Gordon Kim). I did make it through grad school, though, while doing 'everything' that was expected. Just looking at a stack of notebooks, binders of notes, even a collection of seminar invites it is remarkable how many meetings I went to over those fourteen years - tape meetings, all-nights of prayer, campus bible studies, outreaches, summer teams.

Are you still in Orange County?

Dale (getting back to a stack of work)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 07:45:00 pm by DaIe Yuzuk1 » Logged
VinnieGalati

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 11:28:27 am »

Dale Y.- Greetings brother, this is Vince Galati. Your poignant recounting of life in the assembly brought me back! I spent the summer with you and Melanie on an MTT to San Diego. We went hiking together when I was moving back to St.Louis in the summer of '87 (with Mike Gleasner). Wow, seems like so short a time ago. But so long ago. God has been so good to me. Through a ministry out of Dallas, Texas (People to People Ministries with Bob George) God opened my eyes to the underbelly of Assembly Life, but more importantly to His unconditonal Love. This took place in '94. Of course, I was put out of fellowship- same old story, different circumstances. I am standing in His Love now, have a wonderful wife and two step kids. He is so Good. God Bless and keep in touch. Tell Melanie Hi for me and others from our old gang. God Bless- VPG
Dale Yuzuki

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 10:08:57 am »

Wow Vince, what a story to tell. After such a long time it's amazing how many people from so many geographic locations are getting in touch with each other again. It's as if a 'resurrection' of sorts has taken place, people I've considered 'dead' (so to speak) are alive and well.

Hard to consider that for me it has been already 5 years, and that perhaps we haven't seen each other since 1994 or so. Of course I remember that backpacking trip, although perhaps some of the funnier details over time have gotten a lot more fuzzier!

BTW is Mike G. still in Seattle and part of the assembly?

Great to hear also that you are happily married and involved in a loving ministry. How important are the connections we have with others, and the resiliance we can have to move on with our lives.
Dale
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: