AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 07:24:05 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerry victory?-----NAW!!!!  (Read 31319 times)
enchilada
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 12:16:39 pm »

If Bush wins, you'll build your spec homes, employ people.....and then the Kerry supporters will sponge the taxes you all pay and sit at home drinking beer in front of the plasma screen.

Brent

Well, I got 8 houses in 3 states on the drawing board.  There's also a 10 story low-cost condo project in San Francisco I've been recently asked to work on, thanks to the Bush victory.  It appears safe now to feel optimistic about construction, provided interest rates and inflation remain fairly low.  Building homes is fun and rewarding.  The tough part is paying the high taxes after the sale if a significant profit occurs.  I could be wrong, but based on personal experience I think the price of houses will go down as the supply increases as a result of further tax reductions.  If Kerry won, I would NOT be doing any of this because I and half the population would be too busy worrying about losing the day job and going on unemployment.  So, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those who voted for Bush:  Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 01:08:47 pm by Dan Fredrickson » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 03:58:14 pm »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin
outdeep

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 09:49:38 pm »

Here are some lessons I brought away from this long, long election:

1.  A strategy that is fueled by vengence and based upon winning at any cost and repeating allegations over and over and moving propaganda into mainstream almost worked, but by God's benevolence, it didn't.

2.  I think since there is no question about Bush winning this election, the sense of "being ripped off" is gone and we may see a strategy in 2008 thought through by cooler heads.   Maybe not, but if Demcrats can move from whining and blaming others to actually thinking honestly about why they lost, they may have a great chance in four years.

3.  We vote our fears - the fear of what we think our society may become if the other guy wins.  When we get afraid, we often get mad and nasty.  I saw this in myself and found I had to back away.  I don't think Jesus would want me to get so bound in politics that I begin to think of people in my community as "the enemy".  Lots of soul searching for me.

4.  The young vote is still a mystery.  I thought F-911 was going to energize the young vote in the same way a GG seminar energized young, impressionable college students.  For some reason, it didn't happen as expected (I wonder if people just got tired of F-911 by the time it hit the DVD market).  On the other hand, local residents voted for the Republican county commissioners.  WHen adding in the college vote, it swung it to a Democratic majority.  In essence, our new county commissioners were elected by people who don't live here. (How this plays out in local politics is property rights vs. scenic area issues.)

5.  Nasty, cheap victories produce a backlash.  1)  The Massachusetts judge who ordered gay marriage in fact produced a great response at the polls by those who wanted to vote against gay marriages - this worked in Bush's favor and some argue it won him the election.  2)  A British newspaper started a letter writing campaign of Brits writing folks in a key county in Ohio telling them why they should elect Kerry.  This basically ticked the Americans off and this was the only county in Ohio that swung from Democrat to Republican.

6.  I know we say it so often, it almost becomes a cliche, but it is true.  The Lord is our ultimate hope.  The way he is going to organize and administrate heaven will surprise and awe people in both parties by its very "rightness".  
editor
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 10:19:19 pm »

On the other hand, local residents voted for the Republican county commissioners.  WHen adding in the college vote, it swung it to a Democratic majority.  In essence, our new county commissioners were elected by people who don't live here. (How this plays out in local politics is property rights vs. scenic area issues.)

We have the same thing here.  I think it's endemic to every college town.  

For years, a Cal Poly professor was the mayor, now he's a city councilman, with further political aspirations.

Our congresswoman got the job when her congressman husband...a college prof...died mid-term.

It is interesting that many elections in college towns are driven by people who don't live in the community for very long.

I think we have a defining moment in history over the next year or two.  What is our president going to do? The right thing, I pray.

I am glad that it appears we are going to pound Fallujah.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 12:25:12 am »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin

Hugh,

That article would be hilarious if the whole thing were not so pathetic.  Losing those losers to Canada, but you northern saints have been so supportive of us that I couldn't bring myself to wish such a fate upon you. Wink

al

vernecarty
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 12:45:31 am »

2)  A British newspaper started a letter writing campaign of Brits writing folks in a key county in Ohio telling them why they should elect Kerry.  This basically ticked the Americans off and this was the only county in Ohio that swung from Democrat to Republican.

Did this really happen?! You mean to tell me that after all this time the Brits still don't know any better than to keep their grubby paws off American affairs?  Smiley

6.  I know we say it so often, it almost becomes a cliche, but it is true.  The Lord is our ultimate hope.  The way he is going to organize and administrate heaven will surprise and awe people in both parties by its very "rightness".  

I felt a strange disinterest in this election cycle. I cannot say that I am unhappy that Bush won. He knows how to  hold on to one wife and that counts a lot with me.
There was a time in American society when this used to count for something but not anymore. Even  Christians today are as lilkely to have indulged in serial marriages as non-believers.
Whatever happened to the power of godliness as a distinguishing feature of those who know Christ?
I think the answer is obvious.
I still do not think Bush represents the economic interests of the middle class but be that as it may, I do appreciate his interest in giving the small business entrepeneur (which I am) a break but this cannot be at the expense of working people who have after all provided all the economic gains of the past eighteen months in the form of increased productivity.
Your observation about the Lord's sovereign rule is encouraging.
I am unsure whether Bush's victory represents blessing or sanction...time will tell...
Verne
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 12:59:03 am by vernecarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2004, 12:57:14 am »

2.  I think since there is no question about Bush winning this election, the sense of "being ripped off" is gone and we may see a strategy in 2008 thought through by cooler heads.   Maybe not, but if Demcrats can move from whining and blaming others to actually thinking honestly about why they lost, they may have a great chance in four years.

The Dems have plenty of time to redeem themselves, but they are going to have to make being "winners" secondary to being Americans, and if there are any Christians among them, those had better make Americanism secondary to their faith.  Politically, they need to see how out of sycn they are with mainstream America, and take the necessary measures to bridge the gap.  Pundits who have been reading the mores and methods of big-city-dwellers as being representative of the nation's standards have been given a wake-up call-- If they hit the snooze button, then they are in for four more years of liberal error and the consequent erosion of their party.

While the Republicans have gained ground throughout the country, much of that has been by default-- a knee jerk reaction to liberal extremes, or simply a choosing of the lesser of evils.  They, too, need to take the pulse of Joe Citizen and get in step with the people.

3.  We vote our fears - the fear of what we think our society may become if the other guy wins.  When we get afraid, we often get mad and nasty.  I saw this in myself and found I had to back away.  I don't think Jesus would want me to get so bound in politics that I begin to think of people in my community as "the enemy".  Lots of soul searching for me.

Absolutely 100% on the money, Dave.  Each of us must realize that Jesus Christ called us to HIMSELF, to be vessels of His glory: a living testimony of His mercy, grace, and glory, and not just to be better Americans.  We must always remember that YOU & I may be the ONLY gospel some people ever hear or see!

The Lord IS our ultimate hope; our ONLY hope!  When we say it, repeatedly, we are obliged to continually, consciously engage personally, one-on-One with the Lord, praising His greatness, thanking His mercy, receiving His grace, and asking His blessing to keep it (Himself) a reality in our lives, our LIVING hope, so that it never becomes reduced to the impotence of cliche.

Thanks, Dave, and God bless us all,
al

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2004, 01:11:22 am »

A British newspaper started a letter writing campaign of Brits writing folks in a key county in Ohio telling them why they should elect Kerry.  This basically ticked the Americans off and this was the only county in Ohio that swung from Democrat to Republican.

Did this really happen?! You mean to tell me that after all this time the Brits still don't know any better than to keep their grubby paws off American affairs?  Smiley

Verne

Verne,

Sorry, I was composing my previous post when you posted...

Yep, it sure did happen, exactly as Dave reported-- backlash & all.  The epicenter of the e-mail barrage was less than an hour's drive from where we live.  The whole thing got next-to-no coverage in the press.  Big surprise, right?  (Did anyone notice how pale and ill Tom Brokaw looked as Bush was taking Ohio?)

al

M2
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 12:07:46 am »

I felt a strange disinterest in this election cycle. I cannot say that I am unhappy that Bush won. He knows how to  hold on to one wife and that counts a lot with me.
There was a time in American society when this used to count for something but not anymore. Even  Christians today are as lilkely to have indulged in serial marriages as non-believers.
Whatever happened to the power of godliness as a distinguishing feature of those who know Christ?
I still do not think Bush represents the economic interests of the middle class but be that as it may, I do appreciate his interest in giving the small business entrepeneur (which I am) a break but this cannot be at the expense of working people who have after all provided all the economic gains of the past eighteen months in the form of increased productivity.
I am unsure whether Bush's victory represents blessing or sanction...time will tell...
Verne

Verne,

I am interested as to why 89% of the AfricanAmericans voted Democrat and only 11% voted Republican.  Is there some sort of 'tradition' or something??

Marcia

P.S.
Interesting that Bush won despite Moore and F9/11 and despite the economics related to the war in Iraq, and despite all those celebrities pro-Kerry stance, and despite Ahnold sanctioning embryionic stem cell research, and despite the same-sex marriage issue.  The Republicans acquired more seats in the house and in the senate as well.

MM
vernecarty
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2004, 09:16:35 am »

Verne

Verne,

I am interested as to why 89% of the AfricanAmericans voted Democrat and only 11% voted Republican.  Is there some sort of 'tradition' or something??

Marcia

MM

An interesting (and loaded) query Marcia. Don't ever let anyone convince you that any one Black person can speak definitively for the community at large.
I will hazard the opinion that while the vast majority of Blacks (cetainly the sucesssful ones I know) hold conservative views and values, no Black person in his right mind would want to be affiliated with the standard bearers of this organisation.
Whether a J.C Watts or a Colin Powell, these good ole' boys will play you like a fiddle.

I am looking forward to seeing how Obama handles himself in that all-white enclave called the senate... Smiley
After I personally expressed my own admiration for his predecessor (former Republican senator Peter Fitzgerald) he tried to get me involved in Republican politics. As much as I love the man and would probably have campaigned for him personally, I told him no "no dice" . I don't carry labels, political or otherwise, well at all I am afraid. I find them  supremely counter-intuitive and rather shallow.
The principles expounded by the Republican Party are for the most part admirable, the practice is entrely another matter. Think hypocrisy.
Does anyone doubt that the conduct of these folk when in power is nothing but a remarkably shameless pandering to corporate interests and the well-being of primarily the wealthiest Americans? There was more pork-barrel spending in this budget (8 billion) than in anything any Democratic president ever submitted.
Dick Cheney's former cronies have been given a blank check to be drawn on the labor or the American taxpayer. I trust the Justice Department will do its jab but I seriously doubt it.
The system survives on ignorance and apathy.
As someone stated, while the Democrats fall short of viable solutions for what ails the underprivileged and down-trodden in this society, at least they make a show of caring.
Cany you really blame Black folks for voting what they think their best interests?
Most thoughtful Black folk look to neither of these players for answers I can tell you that much. Most Black republicans ( I  did not say all) unfortunately have little or no credibility with the community at large. There are good reasons...
Verne
p.s. Coming from a a completely different social paradigm (in the Caribbean), I must admit that my perspective will probably vary widely from soemone of African ancestry born and raised in this country so caveat emptor!  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:45:04 am by vernecarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 09:44:21 am »

Verne,

Marcia

I don't speak for a large segment of the black population.... Wink....but,

I do know the pastor and his wife of the "black" church in SLO.  He is a great guy, loves the Lord, and has a sweet family.

Interestingly, he's a lifelong democrat as is 99% of his church.  When I discovered this, I was surprised.  Over the years, I had an opportunity to ask him why he was a democrat, and did it conflict with his values?

His answer really helped me see through my republican thinking.  He said that the democrats are the party of the little guy, the working man,etc.  In his mind, republicans were all about the rich, and corporations.

I could tell by his answer that there was no point engaging him, he believed this with his whole heart.  It meant so much to him that democrats looked after the average guy, that he didn't notice the social debauchery that the party promoted. It didn't matter, because they were better than republicans.

This helped me to ponder if perhaps I had some blindness in my republican views, which of course I did.

So, for some reason, the vast majority of the black, evangelical population of San Luis Obispo is convinced that the Democrats are better than republicans.

It is interesting, and there is something to be learned here, as I am convinced that many people are entrenched in one party or the other, without giving it much thought.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 09:56:15 am »

In his mind, republicans were all about the rich, and corporations.

IBrent

When you take a long hard look at the legislative agenda of the two parties Brent, this opinion is entirely understandable. I think many of these folk have subordinated what some might consider their spiritual and moral priorities to one that is economic.
I will tell you a little secret...so have the Republican leadership...if you look closely...
Verne
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:58:08 am by vernecarty » Logged
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 09:57:03 am »

I definitely intend to get a job one day. I have been slowly saving up money from the Welfare check I get each month and intend to buy a Lincoln Navigator to use to go job hunting. Well, I've got to go now--I want to go check the TV guide to see who's on Oprah today.

--Joe

So...let me get this straight: all libs are Black people who are on welfare?  Wow...sounds like a racist generalization to me...I know lots of liberals who are not on welfare.  My grandfather-a liberal-was a carpenter who supported ten kids and my gtandmother without any support from the government.  My mother-another liberal-has worked to support her family most of her life.  That's one thing I do not like about people who profess to be Christians...they seem to be the most racist people in the world!
vernecarty
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2004, 10:01:43 am »

I definitely intend to get a job one day. I have been slowly saving up money from the Welfare check I get each month and intend to buy a Lincoln Navigator to use to go job hunting. Well, I've got to go now--I want to go check the TV guide to see who's on Oprah today.

--Joe

So...let me get this straight: all libs are Black people who are on welfare?  Wow...sounds like a racist generalization to me...I know lots of liberals who are not on welfare.  My grandfather-a liberal-was a carpenter who supported ten kids and my gtandmother without any support from the government.  My mother-another liberal-has worked to support her family most of her life.  That's one thing I do not like about people who profess to be Christians...they seem to be the most racist people in the world!

Please be patient with Joe Eulaha. He has a very wry sense of humor and I know he did not intend in that post what it sounds like. I know firsthand a lot of our melanin-free brethren have to be educated regarding matters of racial sensitivity. You and I have both been there...done that... Smiley
Verne

p.s. It does illustrate the great danger of employing stereotpes...even in jest...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 10:15:02 am by vernecarty » Logged
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2004, 10:03:30 am »

And as far as living off of Welfare: in my community, the largest Welfare grant is only $355 for a single person, and $455 for a family.  You can't save money living off of Welfare to buy even a used vehicle, and definitely not a plasma television!  And...the average person who needs Welfare is only on the public dole an average of 2 years.  Why don't you do your homework instead of stereotyping people who may need some governmental assistance?  Who knows...one day it may include YOU.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: