AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 01:08:05 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: WOUNDED PILGRIMS  (Read 32540 times)
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2003, 11:03:10 pm »

Hi Arthur Smiley
  I'm glad that you were able to see the point in the idea of, "Wounded Pilgrims", and when I first considered the topic I was concerned that the concept might not be understood.
  10 years ago, as I was reading the posts' in that Wounded Pilgrims website, I was moved profoundly by many of the thoughts expressed.
    There was one story of a man in a fringe Christian group that was living in the desert in Ariz., waiting for the imminent return of Christ.  As he tells his story of how he sold his property and gave it all to their leader and prophet, I could not help but identify with his great feelings of disillusionment when the prophecy failed, and he and his family were left with nothing.
   They tried to visit churches, and wanted very much to tell their story, but were not understood by those who they talked to.  This left them to sit in the back pew and feel like outsiders to any sense of involvement in the purposes of God.
    One day they discovered the Wounded Pilgrims website, and there those who had similar stories to which they could relate.  They found out they were not so wierd after all, and gained insight into how they were so badly fooled into following the false prophet.  
   At their local churches the messages of the Bible did not help them, because they were so steeped in the twisted interpretations of the former group.  They were so on the emotional edge that they were tormented by memories of how the group had used the Bible to dominate their lives.  The church leaders had no clue as to how to minister to these devastated souls, and unwittingly, continued their suffering.
    At first the father of this broken family just printed out the posts from the site and read them on Sundays to the family, as a kind of devotion.  They were overjoyed to discover that there were others who had been through what they had, and also that there were those who understood their plight!  This was the turning point in their recovery!  From learning how the person of God, the grace of God, and the authority of God in their church was twisted they were able to discover the true God and the true Gospel!
   Had this family just "tried to get over it" and to sit in the back of churches, it was clear they would have just faded away from any faith in God at all.
    The Wounded Pilgrim website provided a Good Samaritan ministry to many similar victims who were left for dead on what they believed to be the road to God.
   Arthur, you may not think you have done much, but I will never forget the story that you told re. your involvement in the Assembly.  As you detailed your story and I identified with it there was value there that was "gold refined in the fire."  There probably were hundreds of those who read and were able to identify with and gain solace from your trouble, as I was.
   How does one gain solace from reading about someone's trouble?  Just as the man above did by seeing that he wasn't crazy and that he wasn't alone in his deception.  It is very important to know where the blame deserves to be placed, when trying to sort out our past involvement.  The victim often tends to blame himself for being deceived, instead of understanding that the false leader (who ran off with all their money) took advantage of their simple sheep like characters.
   Jesus comes after the one lost sheep and has great joy in their recovery!
   Arthur, and other wounded pilgrims here, in telling your story, you have been participants in the ministry of the Good Samaritan.  Those who just leave groups, like the Assembly, and go on to make a "new life",  I believe are not sharing in a ministry in which they can do immeasurable good!  The good will be for others, but it will also be seen in the depth of our own heart that looks more like The Good Shepherd of the sheep; our very own Christ of Calvary!
              God Bless,  Mark

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2003, 01:14:53 am »

a quote from Arthur's last post:

"Ah, excellent thought, and great hope there that there is nothing lost or meaningless in the life tended, cared-for, overseen, directed and shepherded by Jesus.  Thanks Mark!  
*****"I think, though, it may take some time for me personally to come to terms with the experience to the point where it will be beneficial for others.  And I have a hunch it is the same for many others who have 'navigated the twisted paths of the assembly' ".*****

Arthur

In my opinion, Mark has hit the nail squarely on the head, not only with the concept of this topic, but also with his remarks to Arthur and others:
     "Arthur, and other wounded pilgrims here, in telling your story, you have been participants in the ministry of the Good Samaritan."

It is natural to feel discouraged and useless after discovering that you have been deceived and living in error.  But that's all it is-- a natural feeling.  The reality is that whatever we have confessed to him, Jesus Christ has faithfully and justly forgiven us of, and cleansed us from all unrighteousness.
     By fighting past the bonds of your negative feelings, and posting on this BB, you have presented a living testimony to the grace and goodness of God.  None of us realizes how much the very fact of our life gives Jesus Christ a chance to shine through to others.
     Personally, i have been blessed by posts from Arthur and numerous others who are admittedly hurting from their experiences, but who have not surrendered to hopelessness, but press on to learn, know and serve Christ.

Wounded Pilgrims-- be of good cheer:  your recovery is in the hands of the Great Physician!

al Hartman

« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 06:19:23 am by al Hartman » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2003, 08:14:26 am »

Hi Everyone! Smiley
  I thought I would come back to my favorite topic and discuss the experience of God's healing grace with those who may be interested.
   Dave Mauldin raised the challenge that "so called" believers can behave very un-Christ like, while members of other religious faiths can behave closer to the loving nature of Christ.  This claim is undeniably true and has caused me to give a great deal of thought to the question.
   Cults and false holiness groups often make a big deal about the dispargy between proffesion of Evangelical Christians and their behavior.  The idea of salvation by grace is offensive to those who have given great effort to produce something for God (when I speak of salvation I mean the Biblical version that is the gift of eternal life that can not be added to by us).
   What really happens when we are saved and receive God's grace?  Is our sinful nature erradicated at that moment?  Do we begin to think in a godly and mature way in an instant?  Does my behavior cease to be effected by my former ego centric practices?
   If we are honest we will admit the answers to the above are no, no, and no.  We do sense a struggle against sin in our lives, and a hunger for the righteousness of God, and a constant battle seems to rage within between two forces.  
   How then do we experience the power of God in our lives as Christians?
  In the Assembly we were told that we could actualize the power of God through a "walk of reckoning faith".  I believe this is nothing more than an attempt to merit grace by the exertion of one's will vs. true reliance on the promise of God.
  Grace is for sinners, not holy seekers.  Grace changes us from within as we honestly confess our inability to change ourselves.  God weans us from self reliance to a dependency on the hope of the power of God in our souls.  
   We see in the Gospels the kind of people Christ met and changed and many were mired in obvious sinful lifestyles.  As Christians we must never forget that grace always works the same way in our lives as it did in the beginning.  We never get the "Christian life" so down that we achieve mastery of our souls.
   Christians are often those who had obvious trouble with sin in their lives before coming to Christ (I know all have trouble with sin, but some seem to have stronger natural character than others) and this "trouble" will be always present in one's life, to some degree.
   Believe it or not, this is the true nature of sanctification and when we think we are the most hopelessly trapped in our own need we are the closest to the heart of God (a broken and contrite heart God will not despise).
   The above is not an invitation to a soul-searching higher life teaching, or to a morbid self preoccupation, but to a honest assesment of one's condition and a deeper discovery of the love of God.
   It will cause you to accept your own humanity and the humanity of others.  It will also cause there to be a compassion for others who are struggling with sin.  These are the kinds of behaviors that can not be self manufactured and bear the marks of the Holy Spirit.
   There may be others who have stronger wills than I, more disciplined lives, and even make more courageous sacrifices (I'm sure there are) than I, but God intends us to be to the praise of the glory of His grace.  
   Jacob became Israel when God broke his leg and he learned to lean on his staff.  Jacob leaned on that staff the rest of his life.  He called his days "evil", for he was reminded of all his failures, yet God fulfilled his promise in Jacob and brought him to full blessing.
  Yes, Jacob was a wounded pilgrim and was near to the heart of God.  God loves us and fulfills his promise to us, not on the basis of our good example, but simply because of the goodness of His heart!
                               God Bless,  Mark  
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2003, 01:03:26 am »

Mark---

Thanks for your post. It's always great to read what you
have to say, and it's always a blessing too I might add.
I'll just add something I read in a very comforting book
that I have been re-reading recently "A lifting up for the
Downcast" by William Bridge. He's an old Puritan writer
from the 1600's. He states in the book that faith and salvation is a gift of God. It's like a beautiful huge jewel that is given to all. Whether it is in the hands of a little child who receives it, or in the hands of a great, mature and conquering saint, it's the same jewel. We have all received "like precious faith" from the Father. As it says in Jude, we are called to defend the "common salvation" which is given to all. "It is not of him that willeth, or he that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy".

The Lord also showed me something recently that was really quite amazing.  As is the case with many a Christian, we feel that we are more unrighteous than the next Christian or the next person. But the Lord says "There is none righteous, no not one". Sould anyone try to claim righteousness through pride this verse adresses it. The Lord sees us all as unrighteous in ourselves--none of us can redeem ourselves. But what if we take the opposite tack--and claim that we are MORE unrighteous than others?
Is this not also a form of Spritual Pride? "I am far more unrighteous than other Christians, how could God possibly forgive me or welcome me at his throne?" This the Lord showed me, is also Spritual pride.

By this we may be implying that God's Grace is not great enough for us--and that we are somehow different than other people in the world who need a savior. "My Grace is sufficient for thee". I know it's a simple thing---but many of us take a lot of time learning it. Thank God for his mercy and Grace!!!

--Joe
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2003, 06:31:12 am »

Hi Joe! Smiley
  And I thank you for your post as well! Smiley
    You make a very good point re. thinking about ourselves as somehow a worse sinner, and therefore beyond the reach of God's grace.
    One of the most pernicious teachings, that leads to the kind of condemnation that you refered to in your post, is the oft preached message, "What have you done with what God has given you!?"
     Some may ask, "what's wrong with stirring Christians to lay-hold; are we not exhorted in the NT to do so?"
    It is not splitting theological hairs to make the distinction between working as a result of my salvation vs. working to actualize my salvation.  The latter builds a gap between God we can never cross and the former is a vital connection that produces fruit (Vine and Branches).  The Spirit makes us aware of our place in Christ Jesus.
   We sometimes have grandiose concepts of what that vital union should look like in real life.  The transformation is not from human to super-human.  For the harlot wiping Jesus feet with her tears and hair her act was only a cause for indignation from the Pharisees (those very observant of correct behavior).  However, the behavior of the woman was just a very emotional expression of gratitude.  Why?  because she saw her forgiveness in Jesus and His cross.
  I'm sure many here remember Doug Large from the Valley Assembly.  We tried and tried to help him overcome his bad habits and to achieve in him a disciplined life in Christ.  At the time it would have never entered my mind that Doug was "more necessary" in the body of Christ due to his weaknesses.  On the contrary, he was a constant burden to bear and seemed to be a long way from holding the jewel that Joe refered to.
  What of the child, the feeble minded, the old?  Because these don't have sharp minds and strong wills are they exempt from life in Christ?
   God takes us the way we are and does not build upon our strengths.  It would appear it is our weakness that is His advantage in us.
   GG taught that when we sin God abandons us and the Holy Spirit is frightened away.  In fact, God is never closer in our moments of moral failure.  When we see that Christ went to the cross for the depth of our sinfulness we are assured that His love will not let us go.  This is not only the work of justification, but sanctification in my soul as well.  
     The transformation from that experience may only appear a hobbled walk like Jacob's, but in reality he saw God face to face and his life was preserved!  The world saw a scared and crippled Jacob, but within was the emergence of Israel--- a Prince with God!
                                            God Bless,  Mark  
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2003, 12:51:20 am »

Mark----

What a refreshment.  Thanks. I remember Doug Large
for sure. What a funny guy!  The very first night I spent
in a brother's house ended with the awakening of Doug
in the morning, his alarm clock blaring, and him picking it up and breaking it because it went off 15 minutes early!!

I wondered what I had gotten myself into. But I remember
there being a "checklist" on the wall of that particular brother's house, in the kitchen, which listed Doug's life
for all to see. There were squares for "plus" or "minus" points for his appearance, attitude, stewardships, timeliness, etc.(the list goes on). If he were to be ahead in the "plus" column he didn't get any added stewardships that week. If he fell into the "minus" area he did more stewardships, or was given a fine of "minutes" to be made up somehow in the future for his faliures.

I remember I went and complained about this to the brother in
charge, but was promptly shot down and called a "rebel".
needless to say, this list made Doug very depressed and upset, until it was eventually taken down. Doug was a  dear brother though. He did funny things, like kneeling down on the bus to have his "morning time", even if it was right beside someone he didn't even know.

But Doug was given the same "like precious faith" as every Christian is given. I know Doug passed away, but he is definitely with Jesus Christ right now singing his praises!!!!

Thanks for the memory Mark and for your very encouraging post.

God bless,  Joe

« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 01:04:24 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2003, 10:08:56 am »

I remember that somebody used to call Doug Large, "Babble On, the Great."

The morning that Doug was smashing his alarm clock by repeatedly throwing it against the floor and across the room, I was trying to get him to calm down, but didn't succeed before his alarm clock was broken.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2003, 01:45:16 pm »

One night Mark Miller called me at home to tell me that Doug had been found dead in his apartment.  Apparently, he died from spinal menengitis, a disease he had had as a child.  I once heard that this accounted for his impulsive behavior.

I was not consulted on or invited to participate in Doug's funeral, so I just went as a "guest".  There was a chapel service, attended only by "saints".  Mark Miller preached on "so teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts to wisdom", (or else). Sad

There was a brief graveside service, and Mark Campbell spoke.  A short, warm hearted and encouraging word.  The gospel was preached in the presence of Doug's strange family.

Doug's bible was lying open on top of his coffin, and a breeze was ruffling the pages.  My daughter Joy looked up at me and said, "I'm glad I'm a Christian".  Smiley

Thanks Doug,

Thomas
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2003, 03:32:25 pm »

Thanks Tom, Steve, and Joe! Smiley
   Doug was my constant companion, as it was my 'stewardship' to control him from outbursts like the alarm clock situation.  He lived in my brothers house until we decided that he should try to live on his own (I can't remember how we came to that decision, but is seemed a great relief to finally be free of "Babel-on the Great" (and he could babel on Smiley)
   I think the reason I was assigned to watch over Doug was because I met him and invited him out to the meetings.  I'm not sure if it was a response to my Gospel preaching or the need of friends that drew Doug into the group.
   He was constantly tortured between a childs maturity level and the strict performance demands of the group.  
   I now see why God brought him my way and how he was "more necessary".  He taught me that Christianity is not an 'overcomer' performance, nor does the Holy Spirit transform us into 'super' Christians that triumph over all of their emotional baggage via reckoning faith.
   I remember several humorous encounters between GG and Doug.  GG did not like Doug, and it was funny how Doug could get his goat.  They were very similar in some ways, as GG used to respond to him in the same kind of childish argumentative ways that Doug did.
   Doug loved to argue prophecy and took issue with GG regarding his views on the meaning of Dan. and Rev.  GG felt threatened by Doug and tried to put him in his place, but GG's threats went over Doug's head.
   Doug once responded to GG's correction in a very clever way; Doug asked GG a question: "who was the first person to smoke a cigarette in the Bible?"  GG was totally flustered and I thought he was going to stop the car we were driving in and let Doug out!  Doug's answer:  "Rebekah, for she lit off her camel!" Grin
  I tried to get Doug to stop arguing with GG, as it was making the Valley look bad.  I was very afraid of losing GG's approval, but it would seem that Doug was indeed more necessary than GG to my spiritual development.
   Yes, thank you indeed Doug Large!
                                         God Bless, Mark
Arthur
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2003, 09:43:16 pm »

Hi Joe! Smiley
  And I thank you for your post as well! Smiley
    You make a very good point re. thinking about ourselves as somehow a worse sinner, and therefore beyond the reach of God's grace.
    One of the most pernicious teachings, that leads to the kind of condemnation that you refered to in your post, is the oft preached message, "What have you done with what God has given you!?"
     Some may ask, "what's wrong with stirring Christians to lay-hold; are we not exhorted in the NT to do so?"
    It is not splitting theological hairs to make the distinction between working as a result of my salvation vs. working to actualize my salvation.  The latter builds a gap between God we can never cross and the former is a vital connection that produces fruit (Vine and Branches).  The Spirit makes us aware of our place in Christ Jesus.
   We sometimes have grandiose concepts of what that vital union should look like in real life.  The transformation is not from human to super-human.  For the harlot wiping Jesus feet with her tears and hair her act was only a cause for indignation from the Pharisees (those very observant of correct behavior).  However, the behavior of the woman was just a very emotional expression of gratitude.  Why?  because she saw her forgiveness in Jesus and His cross.
  I'm sure many here remember Doug Large from the Valley Assembly.  We tried and tried to help him overcome his bad habits and to achieve in him a disciplined life in Christ.  At the time it would have never entered my mind that Doug was "more necessary" in the body of Christ due to his weaknesses.  On the contrary, he was a constant burden to bear and seemed to be a long way from holding the jewel that Joe refered to.
  What of the child, the feeble minded, the old?  Because these don't have sharp minds and strong wills are they exempt from life in Christ?
   God takes us the way we are and does not build upon our strengths.  It would appear it is our weakness that is His advantage in us.
   GG taught that when we sin God abandons us and the Holy Spirit is frightened away.  In fact, God is never closer in our moments of moral failure.  When we see that Christ went to the cross for the depth of our sinfulness we are assured that His love will not let us go.  This is not only the work of justification, but sanctification in my soul as well.  
     The transformation from that experience may only appear a hobbled walk like Jacob's, but in reality he saw God face to face and his life was preserved!  The world saw a scared and crippled Jacob, but within was the emergence of Israel--- a Prince with God!
                                            God Bless,  Mark  

Excellent post, Mark!  Thank you.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2003, 02:18:26 am »

While reading this I remembered a really old joke from way back. When I first entered the Assembly there was one brother named Doug Large and another named Chris Small--
we used to say that in order to figure the two of them out we'd need to visit a "medium".

--Joe
Arthur
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2003, 02:44:47 am »

Hahaha  Grin  
Then your search was ended as soon as it began--I think we have a co-median in our midst.

Robb

Email
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2003, 09:23:39 am »

When I first entered the Assembly there was one brother named Doug Large and another named Chris Small . . .in order to figure the two of them out we'd need to visit a "medium".

--Joe

Joe -

Thanks for the humor - I don't remember Doug or Chris, but this joke and considering the Assembly's way of thinking, made me laugh my head off!
Robb

Email
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2003, 09:33:57 am »

Also, Mark -
Great re-working of the Good Samaritan.  Kind of helps put things in perspective.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2003, 10:16:58 am »

No question about it, Doug Large acted on impulse  at times.

When the movie, "Star Wars" came out in the mid 80's a group of Valley brothers went together to see it.

In the opening scenes Princess Lea's ship is captured by a humongous battleship.  The faithful crewmen take defensive positions as Darth Vader's storm troopers blast through the door.  Then they burst into Lea's ship and a gunfight takes place.

The folks in the theater were captivated by the tension and excitement of the scene....suddenly a man leaps to his feet in the theater and begins yelling..
.."BANG BANG BANG" while pointing his forefingers at the screen as young children do when playing "guns".  

It was Doug.  He had been completely caught up in the movie.

At the time I would have considered GG to be a far better man than Doug.  But you know, I can't remember Doug ever doing or saying anything to anyone that was intended to hurt, humiliate, or demean them.  

Thomas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: