AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 08:56:20 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven Churches  (Read 3823 times)
bkslider

Email
« on: January 07, 2004, 12:17:15 pm »

Disclaimer: This is a brief reflexion on the seven churches in Revelation. It offers no conclusions, judgements or solutions. I think the topic is relevant to (ex-)members of the "Assemblies".

Years ago, I was involved with an evangelical assembly (not related to GG), and what pained me greatly was to see so many Christians suffer  from not knowing whether they had fellowship with the "right" local assembly/church/denomination. Something in the local group bothered them, either at the leadership or the membership level.  

One of the things that bothered them most was when our group was critical of other groups. How could the Church be universal if our group rejected / judged / condemned so many other groups for not believing / practicin exaclty the rights things ?  Sad  

These people found themselves in a similar situation to that of the members of the so-called "Geftakys Assemblies" who have decided they must cease associating with the Assemblies and find a different group to join in worship and growth. Where do you go if you have been trained to reject others as being flawed, or worse, corrupted by satan?Huh Haven't [Baptists, Brethren, Pentacostal, Lutherans, non-denominational evangelicals, etc., etc., etc.] all gone astray?

I remember being extremely impressed at the time, as I still am today, by the situation of the seven churches in Revelation (1:19 - 3:22).  So soon after Christ's death --- assuming you believe as many Christians do that revelation was written in the late first century or thereabouts --- many churches were already in trouble. Ephesus needed to repent, Smyrna was OK, Pergamum had problems with Balaam teachings and Nicolaitans, Thyatira had the prophetess Jezebel to deal with, Sardis was dead, Philadelphia was weak but OK, and finally, Laodicea was lukewarm!!!!  Huh Huh Huh  

By the way, I am quoting from the NIV  Wink, is that Kosher?  Roll Eyes

Even back then, the choice was difficult!!! How was one to discern clearly where God was best glorified and what assembly was most nurturing to the believer who wanted to worship and serve his God with a group of like-minded, dedicated people? The text gives clear indications ...

So today, with our many denominations and non-denominations, mainstream and fringe, preachers, teachers and prophets, both true and false, we live through the same problems, although multiplied many-fold, and if they are to follow the exhortations of the Revelation, Christians  must:
- repent (if applicable)
- "hold on to what you have"
- "do the things you did at first"

From seven churches in Revelation we have gone to how many groups? Hard to tell. According to some accountings, just the Baptists can be categorized in hundreds of differents ways/flavours/groups.

I end with this twist: I am sure that it was easier to believe that GG had it figured out and headed THE GROUP, THE ONE, THE ONLY righteous assembly, than to have to accept that God may live in many groups, each with its own strenghts and faults. But now, the disenfranchised must seek new affiliations to support their spirituality!
M2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 08:59:56 pm »

Disclaimer: This is a brief reflexion on the seven churches in Revelation. It offers no conclusions, judgements or solutions. I think the topic is relevant to (ex-)members of the "Assemblies".

Years ago, I was involved with an evangelical assembly (not related to GG), and what pained me greatly was to see so many Christians suffer  from not knowing whether they had fellowship with the "right" local assembly/church/denomination. Something in the local group bothered them, either at the leadership or the membership level.  

One of the things that bothered them most was when our group was critical of other groups. How could the Church be universal if our group rejected / judged / condemned so many other groups for not believing / practicin exaclty the rights things ?  Sad  

These people found themselves in a similar situation to that of the members of the so-called "Geftakys Assemblies" who have decided they must cease associating with the Assemblies and find a different group to join in worship and growth. Where do you go if you have been trained to reject others as being flawed, or worse, corrupted by satan?Huh Haven't [Baptists, Brethren, Pentacostal, Lutherans, non-denominational evangelicals, etc., etc., etc.] all gone astray?

I remember being extremely impressed at the time, as I still am today, by the situation of the seven churches in Revelation (1:19 - 3:22).  So soon after Christ's death --- assuming you believe as many Christians do that revelation was written in the late first century or thereabouts --- many churches were already in trouble. Ephesus needed to repent, Smyrna was OK, Pergamum had problems with Balaam teachings and Nicolaitans, Thyatira had the prophetess Jezebel to deal with, Sardis was dead, Philadelphia was weak but OK, and finally, Laodicea was lukewarm!!!!  Huh Huh Huh  

By the way, I am quoting from the NIV  Wink, is that Kosher?  Roll Eyes

Even back then, the choice was difficult!!! How was one to discern clearly where God was best glorified and what assembly was most nurturing to the believer who wanted to worship and serve his God with a group of like-minded, dedicated people? The text gives clear indications ...

So today, with our many denominations and non-denominations, mainstream and fringe, preachers, teachers and prophets, both true and false, we live through the same problems, although multiplied many-fold, and if they are to follow the exhortations of the Revelation, Christians  must:
- repent (if applicable)
- "hold on to what you have"
- "do the things you did at first"

From seven churches in Revelation we have gone to how many groups? Hard to tell. According to some accountings, just the Baptists can be categorized in hundreds of differents ways/flavours/groups.

I end with this twist: I am sure that it was easier to believe that GG had it figured out and headed THE GROUP, THE ONE, THE ONLY righteous assembly, than to have to accept that God may live in many groups, each with its own strenghts and faults. But now, the disenfranchised must seek new affiliations to support their spirituality!

The NIV is now Kosher since I am "out". Smiley

You make some good observations and a very good point in your post.
I do not regret those years in the assembly as lost &/or wasted. But even as the Lord Jesus said to the 7 churches (so to speak), these things ought not to be. I am enjoying my new-found liberty that much more for having been in a place of bondage. I appreciate my new place of fellowship, whereas I probably would be taking it for granted had I been there all along. I am also able to 'understand' and identify with those who were/are in abusive churches. 2Cor 1:4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
Yes the Lord is calling all of us to repentace.

Lord bless,
Marcia
M2
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 07:43:42 pm »

One of the characteristics of the Ottawa assembly is that things had to be so organized and compartmentalized. Whenever there was a 'slip-up' the LBs were faithful to bring the slip-upper to task, and to constantly remind us thereafter about avoiding that same slip-up.

Another characteristic is that the focus is on 'service' and 'contribution'. NOT on loving the Lord.

Walking with the Lord entails picking the corn on a Sabbath; i.e. slipping-up and messing up one's contribution and being unfaithful in service. No rules. Ottawa assemblyites would still have a very difficult time with that.

At the church I now attend, there were a few occasions where 'technical' difficulties were graciously overlooked by the Pastor. In the assembly, those very same slip-ups would be discussed to bits, and then future guidelines would be established.

But then the people like it so, as you have stated in your comment I have quoted.

Lord bless,
Marcia
d3z

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 08:06:25 pm »

This past Sunday, as the pastor was about to pray to close his message, he stuck his hand in his pocket, next to the microphone transmitter.  It started crackling whenever he moved.  I could tell that inside, it really annoyed him.  He just paused, stoped moving his hand, and then prayed to close the message.

I remember many times GG saying essentially: "This microphone is bad, get me another one."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: