AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 10:39:22 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION OF THE DAY/OPINIONS WELCOME  (Read 108364 times)
M2
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2004, 01:38:12 am »

On Halloween I am usually moved to do some really evil stuff. I turn on the television(I can hear the gasps) and watch Andy Griffith. Then we play cards(please forgive me), and  afterwards we dance to '50's rock music(I know, that's really crossing the line). Then I might dress up like Herman Munster(the satanic overtones are overwhelming I know) and hand out candies to the little kiddies who come up and say "Twick or tweet!! hee hee!!"
dressed up like the Little Mermaid or Dracula( It's unbelievable a parent would allow this--the kid will wind up drinking blood one day for sure!!). Then after that the mother's will say "Don't forget to say Thank You!!"
in their Halloween ritualistic manner.  And the little pagans will shout "Thank you mistewr!!!!" in their baby talk ghoulish manner. Then they'll run off giggling to the next house and perform the same ritual. It's all so horrifying it makes my blood run cold.

--Joe

Hilarious!!

Marcia Smiley
lenore
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2004, 08:27:34 am »

:)HAPPY LORD'S DAY NOVEMBER 21ST AT 10:42 PM ARNPRIOR.

QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF JESUS WAS ROAMING THE EARTH TODAY, WHAT AREAS, AND TYPES OF PEOPLE WOULD HE REACH OUT TO.HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2004, 05:48:28 am »

Hi Lenore!  Smiley

Day late on the "question of the day", but it was such a good one it required some thought.

What areas would Jesus visit?

It's diffiuclt for me to think of Jesus returning to our world again as a child and living his life among us, pre Calvary, because his next return to us will be as a triumphant King!

If He were here again he would pick children up in his arms and bless them, he would attack religious hypocrisy with particular vehemence, he would find the one lost sheep and bring him home, he would be merciful to the sinful, use tough love to convince us of our sinful condition, and generally all the things we read about him doing when he first came.

The one thing that he did that was the most important of all, and that is far greater than any of the things we read about during his earthly life, was his love at the cross for us.

This he does not have to do again; and so this really makes the question of the day not what he would do if walked again as man on earth, rather is His Spirit living His life in me as I live my life in Christ and what does that mean?

Jesus in me is possible because of the Cross of Jesus.  To me this means humility and honesty regarding my own corruption and a great hope in the redemptive power of God's grace!  This springs up in us and spreads wherever we go, and so Jesus can be all over the World now through us.

That message of Good News will be received by those thirsty and hungry in this life, and this means the poor of spirit.

God Bless,  Mark C.
lenore
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2004, 08:17:50 am »

:)Lord's Day December 12 at 10:31 pm Arnprior:

Evening Service sermon was on Nehemiah, which has been a series for a number of weeks now.

An interesting thought came  out from that.

We are the only one who causes us to grow in the Lord!

ANY IDEAS ON THIS STATEMENT........HuhHuh??
lenore
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2005, 06:26:31 am »

;)January 7th at 8:42 pm

Creating a Winter Contest about the Journey of Paul for my Sunday School.  I created a Quizz. Am sharing with you.   See how you do on it okay!!!!!!!!
======================================
JOURNEY OF PAUL - The Christian Gospel Trail

Multiple Choices:

1. Where was Paul born?
a. Rome
b. Cyprus
c. Tarsus

2. Paul's famous teacher was?
a. Luke
b. Gamaliel
c. Moses

3. What is a Hellenist?
a. Greek-speaking Jew
b. Some who like to raise a ruckus
c. A very hot vacation resort

4. When did Paul first appearance in the Bible?
a. When he was bitten by the snake
b. Sitting in front of his tent
c. Watching Stephen being stoned to death

5. Where was Paul blinded?
a. Jerusalem
b. On the ship going to Rome
c. On the road going to Damascus

6. Why was Paul going to Damascus?
a. to buy some tent material
b. to persecute Christians
c. to visit family

7. Paul was an apostle because?
a. he was one of Jesus disciples
b. he was present when Jesus was crucified
c. he saw Jesus

8. What place did Paul first preached in?
a. Jerusalem
b. Antioch
c. Damascus

9. How did Paul escape from Damascus?
a. Ran out the door
b. Rode on a donkey
c. Lower from the wall in a basket

10. What vision from the Lord gave to Paul?
a. He was to go to Ninveh
b. He was to go see Cornelius
c. He was to preach to the Gentiles

11. Who was Paul's first missionary travelling companion?
a. Peter
b. Barnabas
c. John

12. Where was first time Christians was mentioned?
a. Jerusalem
b. Rome
c. Antioch

13. Why did Barnabas and Paul went their separate ways?
a. Disagreed over taking John Mark
b. Disagreed over taking Silas
c. Disagreed over taking Peter

14. What future pastor became like a son to Paul?
a. Timothy
b. Lydia
c. Philip

15. Where from did Paul write some of his letters?
a. aboard a ship
b. in prison
c. standing in front of Festus

16. What was Paul's background?
a. Hellenist, tribe of Benjamin, Pharisee, Roman citizen, tentmaker
b. Son of a Pharisee, Hebrew, tribe of Benjamin, fisherman
c. Egyptian, Arabic speaking, a Levi, shepherd

17. What was the last known address of Paul?
a. Jerusalem
b. Tarsus
c. Rome

18. How many mission trips did Paul travel?
a. 10
b. 4
c. 3

19. What happened after Paul and Silas was freed from Jail by the earthquake?
a. Ran for their lives
b. Witness and baptized the jailer and jailer's family
c.  Took the jailer hostage

20. What was Eutychus doing when he fell from the window?
a. listen so intently to Paul's preaching
b. he was drunk
c. he was in a deep sleep

21. How did Paul ended up on the island of Malta?
a. he walked there
b. one of his missionary journey stops
c. shipwrecked on his way to Rome

22. What bit Paul as he laid sticks on the fire?
a. insect
b. dog
c. viper

23. Why was Paul sent to Caesarea from Jerusalem?
a. they had better jails there
b. he got a quicker trial date
c. forty plus Jews conspired to kill Paul

24. Why was Paul sent to Rome for trial?
a. he would get an easier sentence
b. because he was a Roman Citizen
c. better food

25. Who guide Paul on his journey every step of the way?
a. Barnabas
b. Peter
c. God
lenore
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2005, 05:37:01 am »

:DJANUARY 30TH  ' HAPPY LORD'S DAY TO ALL'

I have a question for you that I hope will generate some thought and sharing.

IF YOU WERE TO GO BACK IN TIME.
As a reporter interviewing one of the heros of the Bible.

WHO WOULD BE YOUR HERO?
WHY?
WHAT WOULD YOU ASK HIM?

Another angle in this.

IF YOU WERE TO GO BACK IN TIME TO BE AN APPRENTICE TO ONE OF THE PEOPLE OF THE BIBLE?

WHO WOULD IT BE? AND WHY?
WHAT DO YOU HOPE YOU WOULD LEARN FROM THEM?

I'LL BE INTERESTED IN YOUR RESPONSES.!!!!!!!
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2005, 06:59:10 am »

Good question Lenore! Smiley

Of course my first choice would be Jesus, but I think your question probably is asking us to choose from among regular ol' believers like one of us.

From the NT I would choose Peter, because God had worked such honesty into his life.  He is kind of an anti-type of a hero, but truly one whom God used in a very powerful way.

From the OT (if I'm allowed another choice) it probably would be Jacob.  Yes, another little big man, but truly an Israelite without guile.

God Bless,  Mark C.
vernecarty
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2005, 01:47:03 pm »

Good question Lenore! Smiley

From the OT (if I'm allowed another choice) it probably would be Jacob.  Yes, another little big man, but truly an Israelite without guile.

God Bless,  Mark C.

That's kinda funny Marc. I was also thinking about Jacob but for the exact opposite reason. I though it great how God could use and absolute scounderel like him. He was a crafty old one like so many of us. Actually, this is the kind of guy who would have his picture in the dictionary to help illustrate the definition of "guile".... Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:56:22 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2005, 09:54:52 pm »

Hey Verne!

You are absolutely right that Jacob was a perfect example of a guile filled scoundrel at the beginning of his life, but by the end of it he is a changed man.

This supplanter receives a new name from God, "Israel-- Prince with God," and it is God's work in his life to transform him that causes the glory of God to shine in his life.

God is really the only true hero in the Bible and it was he that used the "worm Jacob" to "thrash mountains."

Peter is the NT version of Jacob and very illustrative of the facts surrounding what it means to live the Christian life.

God Bless,  Mark C.
lenore
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2005, 12:59:31 am »

:)January 31st:

If I was able to go back in time to interview a person, or even speak to a person who is already in the kingdom of heaven.

I would pick Stephen.

Acts Chapter 7 is my favourite.

The question I would ask Stephen, is what he felt when he looked up in the sky, and saw Jesus standing  to greet him home to heaven.

Acts 7: 54 "and said, "Look, I see the heavens opened and the "Son of Man standing at the right hand of God".

This is my favourite verse of the Bible.
THis I am told is the only place in the Bible where you read that Jesus is STANDING AT THE RIGHT HAND, other place has him sitting.
Image to be able to SEE JESUS STANDING TO GREET YOU HOME. Jesus standing waiting to receive you.
.....................................................................................

To go back in time to apprentice with,
one of two choice:
One of women who travelled and took care of Jesus needs.
Debra... she must of been well respected woman among her people,\...that an army captain refused to go to war without her..... to be able to learn from this woman, her attitudes, her mannerisms, her abilities, the way she adviced her people. To be able to learn how she was able to obtain that type of respect, a woman during that time where women were not respected, to lead her people to a victory.  That is something that I want to learn from her.

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2005, 01:09:33 am »

Debra... she must of been well respected woman among her people,\...that an army captain refused to go to war without her..... to be able to learn from this woman, her attitudes, her mannerisms, her abilities, the way she adviced her people. To be able to learn how she was able to obtain that type of respect, a woman during that time where women were not respected, to lead her people to a victory.  That is something that I want to learn from her.

People who are genuinely respected are those who have no concern whatever about whether they are respected or not-- they are too involved in serving others (their Lord, their brethren, the poor...) to worry about their public image.  

Just my opinion...

al

lenore
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2005, 10:14:15 am »

;)February 1st

Okay Al.

If you had the chance to go back into Biblical Times to sit down and interview/apprentice with someone....
Who would you pick......?

Who do you most admire in the Bible, besides Jesus?

Why? What makes this person near and dear to your heart?

Lenore
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2005, 10:30:27 pm »

;)February 1st

Okay Al.

If you had the chance to go back into Biblical Times to sit down and interview/apprentice with someone....
Who would you pick......?

Who do you most admire in the Bible, besides Jesus?

Why? What makes this person near and dear to your heart?

Lenore

I have given that some thought since you first posed the question, and I really don't have a solid answer.  First of all, I know I'm not smart enough to ask the right questions, or to understand the answers I'd hear.

If I had to choose right this minute, I guess it would be:

O.T.-- Adam.  I'd like to know what it was like to exist sinless, in fellowship with God before the fall, and to know how his post-fall nature remembered and regarded the contrast with his pre-fall experience.  (If permitted, I'd like to ask the same of Eve.)

N.T.-- Paul, for similar reasons as above.  I'd like to learn how he thought about God and men and himself before his conversion, and how he grew in grace and knowledge of the Lord for the rest of his life.

I would hope to sit at their feet toward the ends of their lives, to learn as much from them as possible.

al
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2005, 01:57:57 am »

From the O.T.----The ass that spoke to Balaam. I've always loved "Mr. Ed" so I think that would be a great interview.

But seriously, O.T.----Jonah
                       N.T.----the Apostle John.

--Joe
lenore
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2005, 07:51:15 pm »

:)On Saturday Night, the men of my church put on a fancy meal for the ladies of the church.
It was a real fun evening.
It was by invitation.
The tables were adorn with candles and flowers.
Each lady received a corsage.
We were allowed to barely get off our chairs.
Everything was served, from the water through to the dessert.
Music of violins played in the background. Each setting at the table had a name tag.
The courses including eggdrop soup, scrimp and avacado salad in pastry, to roast beef, potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans ties in green onions, aspargus, on a bed of lettuce, dinner roll, then for dessert it was poached pears with berry sauce and icecream.
Following that was men put on a skit, and music.
We had a games.  One of the games was find the
            LADY IN THE MIDDLE
1.  AB...................LITY
2.  SUM...............S
3.   O........CTIVE
4.  A.............TION
5. REA........E
6.  S.....NTY
7.  BIG........
8.   TIS...........

Most around our table got 7 of them.
It was number 6 that stump us.